2016 Standard Mileage Rate

The 2016 Standard Mileage Rate for Businesses is 54 cents per mile.

Charity Mileage Rate is 19 cents per mile.

If you have any questions please call me at 734-332-9949

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

What is Self-Employment Tax?

Self-employment tax is a tax consisting of Social Security and Medicare taxes primarily for individuals who work for themselves.

It is similar to the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners.
You figure self-employment tax (SE tax) yourself using Schedule SE (Form 1040). Social Security and Medicare taxes of most wage earners are figured by their employers.

Also you can deduct the employer-equivalent portion of your SE tax in figuring your adjusted gross income. Wage earners cannot deduct Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Tips for Taxpayers Who Missed the Tax Deadline

Call me for help at 734.332.9949. Here are tips for you:

If you missed the April 15 tax filing deadline, don’t panic. Here’s some advice from the IRS.
File as soon as you can. If you owe taxes, you should file and pay as soon as you can. This will help minimize the interest and penalty charges. There is no penalty for filing a late return if you are due a refund.

Pay as much as you can. If you owe tax but can’t pay it all at once, try to pay as much as you can when you file your tax return. Pay the remaining balance as soon as possible to stop further penalties and interest.

I can help you make payment. If you need more time to pay your taxes, I can help you apply for a payment plan with the IRS.

A refund may be waiting. If you’re due a refund, we should file your return as soon as possible to get it. Even if you are not required to file, you may still get a refund. This could apply if you had taxes withheld from your wages or you qualify for certain tax credits. If you don’t file your return within three years, you could forfeit your right to the refund.
For more information, call me for at 734.332.9949.

IRS Tax Tip 2014-58, April 18, 2014

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Seven tips for taxpayers with foreign income

1. Report worldwide income.

2. File required tax forms.

3. Consider the automatic extension.

4. Review the foreign earned income exclusion.

5. Don’t overlook credits and deductions.

6. Get tax help outside the U.S.

If you have questions or would like more details, call me at 734.332.9949.  I offer a free half hour consultation for new clients.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Customer Testimonial from Mary Ribeiro, Seniors Helping Seniors

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

State of Michigan Individual Income Tax for 2016 Tax Returns

Personal Exemptions Allowances:  The annualized allowance for each tax payer and dependent is $4,000.   The reason for the odd number is due to the fact that the annual rate changed as of October 1, 2012.  Additional exemption allowances were eliminated for anyone over 65. No additional exemption is allowed for any child over the age of 19. If you collect unemployment- any exemption amount exceeding 50% of your income is eliminated.

The annualized tax rate for 2016 is 4.25%.

The Earned Income Tax Credit on the state was 20% of the Federal tax credit in prior years.  This credit has been reduced to 6%.

The Credit for Dividend/Interest Income/Capital Gains has been available for seniors in prior years.  This credit is not available for some seniors depending on their year of birth.

You can no longer deduct Political Contributions.  Also regular Michigan Contributions are no longer available in most cases as a credit.


Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Federal Taxes Individual Rates for 2016 Taxes

Personal Exemption Allowances:   Personal and Dependent amounts are $4,050 Each.

Capital Gains and Qualified Dividends:  If you are in the 10 OR 15% tax bracket,  the tax rate is 0%.   For other income tax brackets, the tax rate is 15%.

If you have Business Mileage, your allowance per mile for 2016 is 54 cents per mile.

If you have Charity Miles,  you can deduct 14 cents per mile.

If you have Medical or Moving expenses, you can deduct 19 cents per mile.


Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment